Saturday, March 10, 2012

VOVIDS = Stealth Learning

Vocabulary might draw groans from kids world wide, unless your teacher is a total vocabulary geek (that would be me). One of my students' favorite vocabulary activities is making VOVIDS, AKA vocabulary videos. 


Again this is certainly NOT my original idea, but we began doing it after discovering the website Wordia.com. It is a British site where people make and submit short videos discussing the meanings of words. 


We decided to do our own and it's one of the most fun and meaningful vocabulary activities I've ever done with students. Some of them are so silly and they have so much fun making and watching them, that my students have no idea how much they are processing and internalizing word meanings. I have the students leave a pause after they act out the word, so that when we watch them in class, the other students have an opportunity to guess what the word is before they give the definition. 


Another example of stealth learning- love it!


Definition of vanish

wordia definition of twitch

definition of furious

http://wordia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment